Ever get caught spooning Nutella right from the jar…with your finger? You are definitely not alone. There are millions of people out there, guilty as you! Fans of Nutella have declared that Feb 5th is World Nutella Day. Before you rush to the stores to get jars of Nutella to join the celebration, you can actually make this orgasmic concoction at home. There are only a few ingredients, so the secret is to use the best quality ingredient you can afford. Nuttychocolateylicious guaranteed.
1. Toast the hazelnuts in the 130°C oven for around 15 minutes. Shake the tray every few minutes to prevent burning.
2. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel, and when its cool enough to handle, remove the skins by rolling it against a counter to rub off the skins. It’s okay if some stubborn skins just won’t go off.
3. Sieve together cocoa powder, icing sugar and salt.
4. Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor. It will turn from coarse bits to fine powder and when the oil from the nuts is released, a pasty nut butter.
5. Add in alternately and gradually the dry ingredients and oil until you achieve a spreadable consistency.
* There is another method of skinning the hazelnut by blanching them in boiling water with baking soda. Although it has high success rate of removing all the skins, I feel that this affect its aroma even after toasting them dry. So, you decide yourself which method to use.
* Don’t try to kill your food processor because the spread is not as perfectly smooth as the product from a Nutella factory.
* Store the homemade Nutella in fridge. The spread will set firmer when cooled.
* For creamier Nutella, put lesser oil but add some cream just before you need to use it so that you won’t have to worry about the expiry date of dairy product.
* No need to go through the fuss about sterilising the jar. I am SURE it will be gone before it turns rancid.
(ingredient pictures: momfiles.com, allpictures.co.uk)